Friday, December 5, 2008

Surprise! - Day 4

http://www.rootzoo.com/uploads/group_photo_uploads/12089788071269718762.gif
I went with the youth group to the Dallas Stars hockey game tonight. There were about 30 of us, and we caravaned to the game in four seperate vehicles. The plan was to get to arena, park in the $10 lot, and walk to the game. Once there, I would go to the ticket counter and get the tickets that we reserved for $10 a pop.

I have known the Vice President of the Stars for a few years now, and I knew he would take good care of us. When we spoke three weeks ago, he said he could get us 30 upper deck tickets for $10 a piece, so I approached the ticket counter with a pretty clear expectation of what we were getting. I told the lady at will call that my name was Steve Hayes, and I had 30 tickets reserved. She handed me an envelope and said, "Thanks for coming, Mr. Hayes. Have fun at the game." I thanked her, began to walk off, and then realized that we hadn't paid for the tickets. I turned back and said, "I don't think we've paid for these yet." She looked at her computer screen, smiled, and said, "It's been taken care of. Have a nice night Mr. Hayes."

Stunned, I opened the envelope to see that my friend, the VP, had sprung for 30 $70 tickets in the lower deck of the arena. Talk about a nice surprise!! I don't have anything deep or illuminating to share about this surprise, but given the fact that we had only recieved about 2/3 of the money for the tickets, this was extremely helpful to our youth budget. All I can say is "Praise the Lord!" Thanks, God, for friends in high places. What a nice surprise.

2 comments:

Truth is Stranger than Fiction said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Truth is Stranger than Fiction said...

Oh, how AWESOME, Steve! Thank you, God.

I couldn't figure out how to edit my last comment, so I had to delete it and start over.

Anyway, my surprise today was financial, too. On Day 4, after praying "Surprise me, God," I was getting ready to pay bills, and I knew our finances were really tight lately from some totally unexpected and high expenses. I also knew there was an $800 bill due that we couldn't pay with my Barry's paycheck. So, instead of having faith, I was worried and fearful. There it is, again...

The paycheck contained a bonus for Barry's work after Hurricane Ike. I knew the bonus was coming, but what I didn't know was that it would be exactly enough to pay the $800 bill.

Surprise, surprise.

After surprises like this, all I can say is "Thank you, God!"